senior peer counselling
Senior Peer Counselling is a province-wide program developed based on the belief that when seniors are experiencing worry, frustration and loss they prefer to talk to other seniors who may have similar life experiences.
VRIS Senior Counsellors complete an 18-week (3 hours per week) training program and a supervised practicum before they are affiliated with the Senior Peer Counsellors of BC and begin counselling others.
This one-on-one service is offered at no charge to Richmond seniors. A referral is not required for this service.
- Sessions usually take place in the client’s own home
- Sessions may also take place at the VRIS office or at Minoru Place Activity Centre
- Clients are screened by the Program Coordinator to determine if the person is appropriate for volunteer counselling
- Sessions are once a week for an hour
- Clients are seen for up to 6 months
- From this service, referrals can be made to other services
To access this free service, or to become a volunteer Senior Peer Counsellor, please call 604-279-7020 or email email@example.com